Accessibility of the Legalservicesvt.org Website
Legal Services Vermont is committed to making the legalservicesvt.org website accessible to all users. We have been working to be in compliance with the World Wide Web Consortium WCAG Level AA web accessibility standard and with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
Comments and requests are welcome and can be made by calling us at 1-800-889-2047.
These are some examples of accessibility features of this website:
- All of the features and tools on the website can be operated while using accessible technology (such as screen readers and speech recognition) or only the keyboard.
- A website user who only uses a keyboard (and not a mouse) can tab through the navigation and the content of the website.
- We give visible focus to links and buttons on each page as a person tabs through the pages.
- Headline styles are used on the pages and are in logical order. When they are read to a user by a screen reader, they give context about the organization of the content on the page.
- External links are easily identified.
- The colors of the text and background colors are carefully chosen to provide high contrast. The contrast meets Level AA guidelines or higher.
- We apply alternative text (“alt tags”) to images so a screen reader can describe them to a person with limited vision.
- Videos hosted on our website have closed captioning and a transcript.
- We strive to use plain language to make the content easy to understand. (For language our goal is to meet the higher AAA-level accessibility standard.)
- We continue to work on offering our downloadable Word and PDF files in an accessible way to meet WCAG Level AA standards. We offer a more-accessible, alternate version of these documents as much as possible.